mardi 6 mars 2012

Overlooked Movies -- They Might Be Giants

They might be giants. To Don Quixote they were giants, but not to Sancho. So what's real? Yes, I'm familiar with the "I refute it thus" approach to Beelzy, but perception and reality are something to think about when you watch this movie. Our reality is real to us as the reality of others is to them. Who's to say what's really real? By the way, if that's not a misleading poster there on the left, I never saw one.

George C. Scott plays a man who, because of an incomprehensible loss, develops a new way of dealing with the world. He thinks he's Sherlock Holmes, and he collects newspaper clippings that lead him to the conclusion that there is indeed a malevolent force in the world, and that force is Moriarty. Naturally everyone thinks he's nuts, but his analyst, Dr. Watson (Joanne Woodward) is gradually drawn into his world. Scott's character also goes to Randolph Scott movies exclusively because the Good Guy always beats the Bad Guys in the black hats. I can't see anything wrong with that.

I haven't seen this movie in awhile, but I really do like it. Just about everything in it worked for me (I'm in a minority here, so be warned). There's a great cast, and not a weak link in it. The ending really bowled me over. I can still run it in the theater in my head, and I do, now and then.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire